Sunday, October 4, 2009

First Post *shudder* Blog virgin becomes token Canadian and makes first gay film. Welcome to the West Coast.

Okay - I can't believe that I'm actually doing this. I am officially a blogger. Denise will be so proud. I'm not really one to think that my life is all that interesting nor am I pretentious enough to think that anyone beyond Mariko will read it religiously. I do hope to be interesting enough for a few family and friends to take note. We shall see if I even keep this up past one entry! I do think that this will be easier than trying to update everyone on my life individually. If you want to know what I'm up to - this will be the place. I'll try to keep it interesting.

Disclaimer: This is my first entry...I'll probably have a lot to say. Bear with me.

So I guess I should start with a summation of my new life. Since making the big move from Lethbridge-on-the-prairies to Vancouver-on-the-west-coast I've sure had some interesting experiences. First off - my wonderful accommodations should be described. I was lucky enough to find a pretty sweet homestay out here. I wasn't sure of the idea of living in a family type situation again, after being on my own for 6 years, but it has proved to be the right choice. My Vancouver/Homestay "parents" are Rod and Anna. Rod is a wonderful Englishman who has been in Canada for quite some time and Anna is a fiery Italian who cooks amazing food for me every day. When they were looking to buy houses Anna wanted a view and a good kitchen. This house nearly made her fall over and that's pretty much the reaction I had as well. The house is huge and nestled above a cul de sac on the mountains. On clear days I can see mountains that are across the border. As for the good kitchen she wanted, not only is it great, but there are two! Yes, two kitchens. A main one and then this little one kind of hidden away behind the fridge. It's a food lovers heaven. I only wish Mariko could see it and have the opportunity to prepare food on an electric stove and a gas stove at the same time. I think she'd fall on the floor and cry with happiness. I feel it's wasted on me...but at least I have a greater appreciation for it from her and for that I am grateful. I now see the beauty of owning 2 ovens.

Aside from feeling incredibly lucky to live in such a great house - which will probably be my only chance to live somewhere that has a private, heated driveway - my life is a constant game of charades. The other two students that live here are from Spain and Japan. Both have come to learn English. The Spaniard actually knew a fair amount when he arrived and is only here for a month. The Japanese teen on the other hand knew very little and is here for 4 months. They are improving quickly and it does keep life interesting. Dinner conversation is always fun - Italian, Spanish, Japanese, "Queen's" English, and "Canadian/Albertan" English all in one room. Add this to the fact that all of Rod and Anna's friends who occasionally come for dinner (or invite us over) are immigrants as well, I've declared myself the "token Canadian" in my own country! I feel so multicultural - it's great!

I feel I should mention school since that's the reason I moved out here. Capilano has a really nice campus. It's tucked away in the trees and it's not too big, which is good for a country girl like me. The official title of my program is Motion Picture Production. In it I have 6 different classes: Film Crafts, Film Development and Production, The Business of Film, Screenplay Analysis, Camera and Lighting, and Post Production. I'm not really interested in all 6 courses as I plan to focus on the technical aspects, but it seems that all film schools want you to get the generals. I am grateful that they haven't taken the snobbier approach of requiring us to take classes and classes of film history before we ever touch a camera. It is a very hands on program. Which is good and bad. On the one hand, it's great to get in there right away and feel involved. On the other hand, I often feel we aren't getting quite enough instruction before we're thrown into the field with gear. For the most part I'm ok with this since I'm pretty comfortable behind a camera (shocker, I know) but I still need to learn the specific equipment that we're working with. Mostly I get scared for the students who have never touched a camera before and have trouble attaching it to a tripod. Or even unfolding the tripod for that matter. They'll be great screenwriters someday. And I will not. Moving on.

The big event coming up is our Mini #1 project. Our first attempt at a major project as a crew. (Each crew consists of 6 people) The assignment is a 30s commercial. We were in prep all last week and this week is production/shooting. Next week will be post-production. Now, I know what you're all thinking. 3 weeks for 30s? Really? Yes, really. You have no idea how much work goes into making just 30s of good film. I had a vague idea before I came here, but I really had no idea. First we each had to present an idea from which we picked the 2 best. Our faculty advisor then had to approve one of the two ideas to give us our green light. Then comes a final script, finding and reserving locations, booking equipment, casting, props etc. All before we even touch the camera on Monday. The actual shooting will only take place over 3 hours. Then to the Post lab we go. I do have high hopes for this project (unlike another I'm dreading, but I'm going to stay positive as this is my first blog...) My crew is pretty good. Only 1 or 2 that I occasionally worry about, but so far so good. There is a guy who has already made a few films and is a really good still photographer so he's been a valuable asset to the team. Although I don't agree with some of his opinions he's been good to work with. Actually due to both of our "advanced" ages, we're kind of the parents of the group. We at least communicate on the same level which is essential to making any good film. So - what is the commercial you ask? It's a PSA (Public Service Announcement) taking a lighthearted look at the overreactions to the H1N1 virus. (The school is kind of paranoid....don't shake hands with anyone! Just say hello) We've kept it respectful but the message is basically about not letting the paranoia take over your life. The scene: short clips of a guy building an unknown device....guy in ridiculous bubble suit tries to enter a classroom....students confused....Just Wash Your Hands. There it is. Our masterpiece. In our heads at least. The real test is getting it on film and editing it coherently.

I will say one more story about my crew. Not so much for your enjoyment but for mine. This blog can now be a backup journal for my life and this is one story I must document. This past Monday we did a "Dogme" exercise. Dogme is essentially a very strict "organic" method of making a film. No tripods, no SFX or VFX, no unnatural light, no computer editing etc. Even the script is rough - the actors are expected to know their characters and improvise much of the dialogue. Anyways, Monday we were given a chance to make our own dogme film. Each group was given a theme ("Brains over Brawn"), a specific word to be used in dialogue ("Weave") and a prop (German phrase book.) Of course, the first opportunity that we have to practice as a crew one member is sick and the other was at the doctor. Our crew of 6 was relegated to 4. Our teacher had full confidence in us (so he said) and let us continue as 4. Luckily Adam recruited his roommate, another film student in a different section, to sacrifice his empty Monday morning to act in our film. With only a half hour to think of an idea and get equipment, our theme quickly forced the plot of one trying to impress with brawn and a brainier character winning. Our all male cast led our story to be one of the "Brokeback Mountain" kind. Slightly awkward for me as the only girl on set and the one filming...but wow, was I entertained. When all was said and done, we had a minute and a half of good film from on camera editing (with only an hour and a half of shooting to give you some perspective) which consisted of Adam seeing Alex, trying a pickup line to no avail, subsequently using Alex's bench for weightlifting (my favourite scene to shoot... Close up of Alex's head bobbing up and down, then a wide shot of Adam lifting the bench up and down) and eventually Adam, sans shirt, flexing and trying to move the cement garbage bin out of place. Enter Ryan who shakes his head at the situation and tells Adam "that's not how you 'weave'" (huh? had to get the word in somewhere) He goes up to Alex, pulls out the German phrase book, fake German gibberish and they skip off hand in hand. Fade out with a sad shot of Adam walking away carrying his shirt. Some of you may or may not laugh at all of this - you probably had to be there. Now, aside from the experience of shooting my first Gay themed film, I gained a lot in those few hours. I know I can work with my team. Well, 4 of them at least, but nonetheless I feel good about it. Being unable to do any post production really made us communicate about what we wanted it to look like and figure out together how to make it happen. There were no second takes and it turned out just how we planned...even shorthanded. Go Team. I'm excited for Monday. Just think of what we can do with a full crew.

Well I think that's plenty for tonight. Actually, I know that's plenty for tonight. If you've made it through all of my gibberish and you're actually reading the end of this, thanks for sticking with me. I kind of feel like I'm back on the mission with my weekly letters home. Except a mission letter never ended with "I'm off to watch SNL....hooray for Ryan Reynolds"
Until next time,
Get some sleep and try not to miss me too much (hah!)
Megan


3 comments:

  1. Oh I am proud! My little girl is growing up.(Cut to Denise wiping away a single tear.)

    I am so very excited to hear about all of your adventures so keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I will be the only one reading on a regular basis. I will however be checking it at least once a day, so there had better be at least a line or 10 a day! Not to put any pressure on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, very exciting. I like to hear about your adventures , they are unlike anything I ever experienced. thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete