Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Criticism and Congratulations

I think this will be my only spare moment this week so I'm seizing the opportunity to blog while I can. Last week was, simply put, Not Fun. Midterms occupied the thoughts of every first year film student. It was my luck to catch a cold the week before, making studying "awesome" to say the least. Class notes, tissues and cold medicine. Ah, good times. And of course, the week of, my body decided to show forth it's hatred even more by being "a girl" and by the end of the week I'd also caught hold of the flu bug that's going around. Needless to say, an outstanding performance is not to be expected. All that aside, I think that I did OK. All except the first turned out to be easier than expected. That's not to say that I did exceptionally well, just that I feel I did better than I thought I would going into the exam. We don't have any marks back yet, but I'm sure they'll trickle in throughout the week.

On a brief breakdown, the first was for Film Development and Production. I don't know if it was the stress of delivering Mini#1 and a 3 page script before 9a.m. or because it was just Monday. Maybe I just turned stupid, because I drew a lot of blanks during the test that afternoon. Things did get better though. Business of Film was Tuesday and our instructor is amazing. So amazing, in fact, that the first test was turned in within 20minutes. Not by the brightest student of course, but we all finished quicker than I think she expected. I took my time on the written part and re-checked my M/C and I think was finished closer to the 45min to hour mark. She prepared us really well for the exam and should be proud of her skills, but I think she may start making things harder on us. Wednesday was the Camera and Lighting exam, which I SO overstudied for. I really want to understand everything in this course and I went into a lot of depth on the technical stuff. The exam turned out to be a lot of the basics, most of which I understood before I even started University. So, for the first time in my life I completed a midterm in under a half an hour. We'll see if I'm overconfident when I get the mark on Wednesday. And that brings us to Thursday, the dreaded day of 2 exams. Film Crafts went well, though I know I overanalyzed the written part and somehow forgot that the tightening ring on a boom pole is called a collar. I felt better when our instructor announced the next day at Mini 1 screening that no one got that right. So we're all stupid. It was kind of funny. I also realized that the arrow I thought was pointing at a section of the boom pole was actually point to the pole as whole. Oh well. (If you're unsure of what a boom actually looks like, as I apparently was, check out this guy. Just remember an actual boom op would never dress like that. And he'd be covered in headphones and cables...) As for the Post Production exam, the one I dreaded the most and went in feeling at my worst both mentally and physically, didn't go near as badly as I imagined it would. I don't feel exceptional about it, but I no longer believe that I failed as I had resigned myself to beforehand. So, the first year motion picture students breathe a collective sigh of relief, right? Wrong.

Friday. The day we'd all been trying not to think about but knew we had to get to in order for Mid Terms to be over. Screening and Evaluation of Mini#1. All 20 first year projects were played straight through for all to see and then each group was asked to stand and receive the teacher's evaluations. We don't have our marks yet, this is just general remarks, much like how a film festival works. Luckily they played and evaluated in section and group order, so we were the 4th group (Section 1, Group 4) of victims of the 20. (Why prolong the inevitable?) None of their comments were untrue or unexpected, just hard to hear in front of 100+ people. It's all constructive criticism of course and they did think the commercial was funny so at least we got points for that. We got some kudos on our paperwork which was kind of ironic because so much of it was done last minute. Mostly our problems resulted from a lack of preparation and clear role definement. (I don't think that's a word, but I'm going with it.) Our 1st A.D. (Assistant Director) and the director kind of "team directed" which is not how things are supposed to work and everything became confusing, especially to our passive Camera Operator and our volunteer actor. We did eventually hit our stride when everyone stuck to their roles but unfortunately our instructors never observed us in that stride. Oh, well. Live and learn. Our poor director took all of the comments really personally and felt responsible for all that went wrong. I managed to convince her that no one hated her and that it was a group effort. I've even coined a new motto from calming her: "You haven't failed if you've learned." So I hope to take what I've learned from Mini #1 (which let's be honest, we all knew would be a bit of a gong show) and do better on Mini#2. And Mini#2 starts "when?" you may wonder....Now.

So after a flu and midterm recovery weekend during which I did not once leave the house, I prepared for school feeling fairly positive about starting Mini#2 with no exams looming overhead. It's pouring rain so I pull on my favourite black sweater and some fuzzy socks and head down for breakfast. Here's my lesson for the day: Fuzzy socks + wood stairs + sleepy Megan = Megan on the floor. An audible thud caused Rod to look up from his toast making to see me sitting at the bottom of the stairs hoping I'd only wounded my pride. I chuckled and said "This is not a good way to start my day." Aside from a very sore backside I'm alright. When I got home from school I told Anna what happened and she exclaimed "I heard a thump this morning but I thought it was Rod...but then no ambulance came so I thought, Ok...." At dinner, it of course came up in conversation and I told them that I'd managed to hide my klutziness from them until today. Truth be told, I've nearly biffed it on those stairs a couple of times!

But I have to say, with that start to my day, things actually got better. Aside from spending most of my class time trying to find a comfortable way to sit in the chair things went well. We had an exam review in Film Crafts (but no marks yet) and received a photograph/emotion/tone assignment that we were allowed to choose our own groups for. My study buddy glanced over at me and we both made a silent cheer. During the break, the super artistic Iranian girl asked to join us. She's also in our self made storyboard group as well so we were happy to take her. Lunch was our Mini#2 "Release" which is when all our instructors meet with us and give us our faculty advisors and guidelines etc. I'm excited for the extra lighting equipment we get to use this time around. I really want to find a use for the gel.

We also held a meeting in our little group to pick 2 scripts to pitch to our instructor. Our given theme is pretty lame. "Better Safe than Sorry." And it's only 1 minute long. Ick. The two we've decided on are fairly opposite. One is a serious mob type story and the other is a silly play on puns; Mr. Safe and Mrs. Sorry go to the doctor. I like them both, but the instructor's are pretty picky on comic timing so I have a feeling we'll be doing the mob one. We'll see. At any rate, I think I've been elected to be the A.D. this time around. It's not finalized yet, but the director from mini#1 spread the word to the stronger members of my new group that I would be a good AD so unless someone else really wants to do it, (and speaks up soon) it's on me. It's a lot of work but I think I'd rather take it on than leave it to someone else this time. It only made me frustrated. I'd rather do poorly on my own terms than someone else's. And actually, the other girl and I have pretty much already started on our "ish" jobs. I've already got my AD paperwork and she hasn't received opposition to directing so she's already working up some shot lists for the two scripts. We're waiting for final script choices to finalize job titles but we're the only ones who have taken initiative, so I think it'll stick. She asked, "If I direct, will you be my AD?" By the end of the day, we were organized and no one has argued so we'll see how tomorrow goes, after we pitch to our instructor.

Ok, I'll finish off with the results of Film 103:Screenplay Analysis. We received our 3 page scripts back today. You remember, the one that was handed in the same Monday morning as Mini#1 and the first mid term? Here's a bit of back story on my part. I had a great script in mind and had my basic beat sheet down. As I started fleshing it out on Saturday it just became too long and I had no idea how to cut it down without diminishing my characters. So, I decided to switch it with the idea I'd been saving for my 5 page script and prayed I'd be able to make the new one work. I had a loose idea in my head from a friend's experience. Now this particular friend has many ridiculous experiences to share and is luckily gifted in the art of telling a good story. When I moved out here she granted permission to use any of her life's adventures if I ever got stuck for a story idea. As soon as I changed my mind on the script and began to write the new one, it came together beautifully and I had the new screenplay in about 3 hours. I took a few artistic liberties for length etc. and I was pretty happy with it. I wasn't focused too much on it ever becoming a project, I was just grateful to have a script to hand in that was entertaining and fun to write. And then I forgot about it. Until today.

Ty, our instructor is sitting there on the desk, holding the huge stack of scripts and I'm just nervous about my grade. He talks a bit about how the top 7 or whatever from each section will be pooled and judged by the other instructors and then some of them will be put on the webpage or something to be used in the second semester. I kind of tuned this part out because I just wanted my grade. So he starts handing out his top choices (not by grade necessarily, but also by production value....some scripts just weren't feasible for on-campus shooting) and the class applauds each student who is called up. Then I hear my name. What? Luckily, I was sitting in the front row and didn't have to make the trek up to front of the class and back. I look at my paper. 86%, A- Now, not only am I in shock at having been chosen but at the A on my page. From the very beginning Ty has had no qualms about announcing that A's are hard to get in his class. He said he was impressed and gave a couple this time. (My study buddy also rocked the A- yeah!) Plus, I don't plan on being a screenwriter, so I was happy with my B from the last script. (If anyone wants to try their hand at this, start here) So this is where my thanks goes out to my dear friend in Lethbridge. Thanks for never being afraid to share your crazy adventures with me (and others) and for letting me exploit your experiences. I hope for your sake that the script goes forward so you can finally see one of your stories on the big screen, even if it is just a student film. I'll keep you posted. As for me, I now have some formatting mistakes to fix and then my work (and your life, but no one knows that yet) will go before the rest of the faculty, and possibly a lot of students for judgement. (Dun da dah!) So, that was the high point of my day - as well as the scariest (near death on the stairs aside.) Now I have to deal with that scary word again...what was it? Oh, yeah...Potential.

Until next time, "Keep fit and Have fun"
Megan

P.S. I'll send a digital gold star to anyone who can pinpoint that origin of that random quote that just popped into my head. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment