So, let's back up shall we? I finished work on October 31. It can only be described as bittersweet. My 2 years at Wall Decor and More has been wonderful. It was so hard to say goodbye to the people who have been so good to me. Since my last day was Halloween, they were concerned I would have plans after work, so on Tuesday they brought cake! And my old boss from The L.A. Gallery showed up as well. It was fantastic to sit with two brilliant employers, nibble on cake and dream of London. It was just another example of how wonderful they are. They each own a custom framing business and are able to be in, what they have dubbed, "Co-opetition." Cooperative competition. :-)
So, I finished work and then packed up my life for storage and tried to fit 2 years into a suitcase. I had a good bye get together with all of "The Ladies." Then, off to Great Falls MT to see my best friend and some friends from the mission. My friend and I spent our time just being us. No rigid plans, just hang out on the couch and talk. Oh yeah, and we had a Marvel marathon. "Thor: The Dark World" premiered in North America on Nov 8, so we watched all of the previous films and then went to the movie. It was really good. It needed more Loki though. I don't just say that because I love Tom Hiddleston; Loki makes everything more interesting. Also, I do very much enjoy Tom Hiddleston :-)
The hardest part of all? Saying goodbye to family, especially my little niece who will probably forget me without me in her house anymore! We had a dinner on Sunday night and on Monday, my brother and sister in law drove me to Calgary. We're not an emotional bunch, but I got teary saying goodbye to each one. Moving across an ocean is a difficult enough endeavour, but doing so as a very small step towards achieving a much bigger dream is even more intimidating. And saying goodbye to family feels somehow weightier than saying goodbye to friends. But then, my buddy friend took me to the airport and we couldn't stop hugging!
OK, enough of the sappy stuff. On to LONDON! The flight was as all flights are, long and uncomfortable. But, the beauty of an overnight flight is eating breakfast over Ireland. Seeing it gave me a reality kick. And then England came into view. I don't even know how to explain the emotions that came over me then. Excitement, anxiety, fear, hope. Everything all at once. I nearly cried from it all. Right, I was done with be sappy, wasn't I?
| West Coast of Ireland |
| My future? |
Since I'm came here with assistance from SWAP/BritBound, I went to the Arrival Information Session at BritBound on Friday night. They went over a lot of good information for getting settled here: tax info, travel, housing, work, health care. Apparently, the NHS (National Health Service) covers me while on a visa! I had no idea. That is one thing I wish I'd known before I bought travel insurance! But travel insurance covers baggage as well, so I suppose I still might need that. But, I think that I'm going to get my teeth cleaned a lot here. A basic treatment of exam, x-rays, cleaning, and flouride is only £17.50! That would be at least $200 in Canada! Root canals or pulling a tooth is only £48.00. Income tax is a bit more, of course, but that's still amazing!
| View of Picadilly Circus from the club. |
Well, I think that about covers it. I had a fun Sherlock (BBC) themed day today and next week, the job hunt begins. BritBound helps with perfecting your resume and registering with recruiting agencies, so now the real work needs to begin. Finding a job needs to be my new job. I'm not looking forward to this bit. It takes some people over a month to find work. I hope I'm one of the exceptions. I'm one of the lucky ones that already has a place to live, but I like to think that's partially because I worked on it before. At the orientation, they asked if anyone had their CV ready and I was the only one, so maybe that bodes well? Wish me luck!
P.S. MANY MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO ARE HELPING ME OUT ON GOFUNDME. YOUR GENEROSITY AMAZES ME!
No comments:
Post a Comment